Saturday, October 17, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine- is it safe? Has it been tested?


The H1N1 vaccine was recently made available to the public due to the recent H1N1 flu pandemic, more commonly known as swine flu. This vaccine’s purpose is to protect the public from contacting this particular strain of the flu. The Center for Disease Control’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice recommends pregnant women, people who care for infants, healthcare personnel, and generally anyone 6 months – 64 years of age are recommended to receive the H1N1 vaccine.

Since the vaccine has been made available however, it has been under scrutiny, because the public is uncertain whether the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks Health Care Workers are required to receive the H1N1 vaccine in order to protect the patients they care for; however, some are protesting the mandate because they are not confident that enough research has been done to ensure the vaccine’s safety.

The Center for Disease Control is assuring that adequate testing and research has been done the new vaccine, and that it’s just as safe as the vaccine for the seasonal flu. CDC Chief Thomas Frieden said, “This flu vaccine is made each year by the same companies, in the same production facilities, with the same procedures, with the same safety guards and that enables us to have a high degree of confidence in the safety of the vaccine.”

World Health Organization Director General Dr. Margaret Chan has responded that since new technologies are involved in the production of some pandemic vaccines, which have not yet been extensively evaluated for their safety in certain population groups, “it is very important to implement post-marketing surveillance of the highest possible quality.”

Readers: Do you plan on getting the swine flu vaccine? Why or why not? Do you get the seasonal flu vaccine? If not, what are your reasons? Have you ever gotten a side effect from the seasonal flu vaccine? Do you think it’s worth getting the vaccine despite any side effects? Finally, do you plan on getting the swine/seasonal flu vaccine for your children? Why or why not? 

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/public/vaccination_qa_pub.htm
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/notes/h1n1_vaccine_20090713/en/
CDC 2009

10 comments:

  1. I get the flu vaccine every year and have only once suffered side effects. I will not get the swine flu vaccine though because I have had the swine flu. I think it's important for people
    to be vaccinated to have what's called heard immunity andprotect the general population from another outbreak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. -No.
    -It costs money, and I can deal with it if I ever get it, but it seems to have passed where I live. I'm just particularly worried.
    -No.
    -I've never had the flu, and it costs money. Also, you have to get it every year because the flu always changes. You can never be sure if the vaccine will do any good.
    -No. I've gotten it a few times, and I didn't get the flu, but the flu wasn't even really around me anyway.
    -I think it depends on the person. If they have the money to spend for the vaccination, then they can. If they want to get the shot, they can. If they are more prone to illness, they probably should get vaccinated. There are a lot of factors. The vaccinations are worth it, I think. I just don't want them. If it protects you from the flu, then it did its job, you can just treat anything else that comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not plane on getting the swine flu vaccine or the seasonal flu vaccine. I have never received a seasonal flu vaccine because my personal doctor believes (as do I) that a healthy immune system does not need any assistance in fighting off illnesses. I think that if I did start getting flu shots, I would be more susceptible to getting the flu than I do now. Since I don't get the seasonal flu shot, I will stick to routine and not get the H1N1 vaccine. However, I do think that the elderly and little children need both shots as their systems are more susceptible to get the flu and have a harder time fighting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like it's more important to have the regular flu shot as opposed to the swine flu shot if I had to choose. Although the swine flu shot has been tested, I feel like I'd trust the seasonal flu shot more as it has been around longer. I was going to get the (not the H1N1, just basic) flu shot two weekends ago, but the place I was going to get it from ran out of the vaccine, and since then I have kind of blown it off since I haven't come to feel sick yet. I have gotten the flu shot in the past and I have never experienced any side effects. The risks don't outweigh the benefits according to most doctors and my personal beliefs, so just weighing the pros and cons wouldn't stop me from getting a vaccine in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment from Rhema Pollone
    October 17 at 3:41pm
    Email address: rhema.pollone@mavs.uta.edu

    I have always gotten a flu vaccine since I was little. I grew up with a weak immune system due to IgG Subclass Deficiency, Class 1, so my doctor always felt it was necessary for me to get the vaccine. I never have had the flu. My brother did not get a vaccine this year and ended up in the hospital because of the flu. I highly suggest children and the elderly to get the vaccine, especially if their systems are compromised.


    **Commenter doesn't have gmail/AIM so I am posting her comment with my account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I am not going to get the H1N1 vaccine or the regular flu vaccine. It seems to me, that lately you hear that the regular flu vaccine only covers certain strains of the flu, not everyone one. So, to me it seems kind of hit and miss whether it will work or not. My son, has a very mild case of asthma and it has been suggested that he receives a flue vaccine every year. The first year I took him for the shot, he ended up getting the flu the week after. I then realized that he had a chance of getting the flu whether he received the shot or not, so he hasn't had a flu shot since then. Since I never had a flu shot, and don't know enough about the H1N1 shot, I will probably skip them both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At one time I was ready to get the vaccine, but with all the contreversy, I'm hesitiant.
    At the same time, I have not researched to see what the actual "contreversy" is with the vaccine, due to my apathy. Thanks for the links and information, its refreshing to have concern and questions over new medicines, people are starting to take responsibility.
    --Traci

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comment from Debbie Daniel
    6:13pm on October 20th
    debbiedfw@64@hotmail.com

    My view on flu vaccines...I've never had a flu shot...so I guess I believe that the elderly and sickly ought to get a flu shot. I tried to get one this year (for the H1N1 vaccine, rather than the seasonal flu) but the wait was too long and I haven't had a chance to try again. So I'm not really worried about it at...now you watch...I'll get it this year and die from complications! Pray for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With flu vaccinations, my views become very conflicted. For anyone over the age of 12, I think that they should get the vaccinations, because it helps slow down the spread of that flu strain. But for all of the younger children, I become hesitant in saying that they need to get the vaccinations. With the younger children, I'm not sure that all of them have built a strong enough immune system to withstand the flu vaccine.

    I do not plan to get the H1N1 flu shot because I really never felt the need to get vaccinated against the flu. While I say that, I do get flu shots every so often (when I find the time when I'm not lazy).

    ReplyDelete
  10. -no, because I don't think it's safe.
    -no, because I have never gotten one.
    -n/a
    -It may or may not be, I just don't want to get any vaccines.
    -I would definitely not put my family at risk by making them get the swine flu shot.

    ReplyDelete